MoBikeFed August 2003 Board Meeting Minutes

Missouri Bicycle Federation, Inc.
Executive Board Meeting
August 3, 2003
Capital Region Medical Center
Jefferson City, Missouri

Present: Paul Wojciechowski (Vice Chair)
Laura Vie (Secretary/Editor)
Mike Schilling (Legislative Liaison)
Brent Hugh (Webmaster)
Caryn Giarratano (MoDOT Liaison)
Randy Niere (guest)
Absent: Bob Foster (Chair)
Mike Murray (Treasurer)
Bob Watts (Past Chair)
Morgan Bearden (Motorist Contact)

The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm by Paul and introductions were made.

Meeting minutes from the March board meeting will be prepared by Brent Hugh and emailed to the board members for approval then posted to the web site.

Treasurer's report listed $2,945.99 in MBF accounts.

MBF interstate committee report – Last winter Caryn completed the list of bicyclists begun last November by MBF Board members for use by the MoDOT District Bicycle and Pedestrian Contacts as liaisons to their local bicycling community. In addition, the bicyclists would serve to alert the MoDOT contacts regarding local bike/ped issues. It would be good to update that list soon.

Bike-related legislation presented during the last session included Senate Bill 400 and House Bills 684 and 711. The amended Senate version, included in a bill with other transportation legislation, passed the Senate but did not pass the House. The language will be redrafted from the Senate version to include some additional points suggested by Brent Hugh. Mike Schilling will write letters to the bill sponsors from last year, thanking them for their support and expressing hope they will lead again in the 2004 session. The federation hopes to have a bill prepared for legislative submission by this December. We intend to solicit opinions from cyclists and cycling groups around the state about areas which they feel may need to be addressed by legislation.

Paul read Morgan’s report regarding the Motorist Contact program. This program allows a bicyclist to report a motorist’s inappropriate or dangerous driving. A bicyclist involved in an incident with a motorist may record the license plate number, the vehicle and driver description and a summary of the details of the incident (including date and time), then email, write or call Morgan. These records will be kept on file to be used in the event a motorist’s engagement in multiple incidents would require notification of the authorities.

Caryn Giarratano reported on roadway design initiative projects. The rewriting of the grate policy, the new rumble strip policy and printing of the share the road bumper stickers are all currently on hold.

Caryn Giarratano reported receiving many invitations to speak at conferences and various groups on bicycle and pedestrian facilities. Also the A to Z by Bike safety booklets have been printed and are being distributed to schools, police departments and bicyclists for free upon request.

The pedestrian statutes handout has been printed and is available for distribution.

Paul Wojciechowski suggested that MBF increase exposure by hanging the MBF banner at the MS 150 ride in September. Brent Hugh will add MBF flyers in pdf format on the website so that they can be accessed, printed and posted in local bike shops across the state. It was recommended that flyers be hand-delivered to bike shops by MBF members who have developed relationships with them and perhaps a mass mailing to remaining shops.

Laura (Levi) Vie was nominated and approved as the new Secretary/Editor for MBF to fill the remainder of the current term expiring on December 31, 2003.

A discussion was held concerning making political contributions to election campaigns of individuals who have supported cycling initiatives and legislation. It was felt that contributions may be appropriate but should be brought to the annual business meeting in November for discussion and final decision. It was also discussed that the MBF membership could be encouraged to individually support candidates that support bike advocacy.

The upcoming reauthorization of the Transportation Bill was discussed. Brent will send out more information on the MBF listserv. Two bills are in question: the 2004 highway appropriations bill, which will determine transportation spending for 2004 only, and the TEA21 renewal, which will determine federal transportation policy for the next 6 years. Transportation Enhancements came under attack in the House version of the 2004 appropriations bill. How Enhancements fares in this showdown will have important ramifications for how Enhancements will fare in the TEA21 re-authorization. We are planning to follow the America Bikes agenda on these bills, and follow America Bikes' lead in coordinating advocacy and campaigns of public support. [Update, Sept 2003: The amendment to reinstate Enhancements in the 2004 appropriates bill was passed overwhelmingly in the House, thanks in large part to the coordinate advocacy effort spearheaded by America Bikes.]

Two Missouri bike advocates died recently. A motorist who was running from the law killed Toni Sena, wife of Larry Denny, a strong supporter of MBF. Toni and Larry were riding on the local bike club ride. Tom Yarbrough, leader of the Bicycle Fun Club, lost his battle with cancer. There was a discussion about collecting funds to purchase something in memory of each in the name of MBF. Trailnet is planning to install a metal plaque on the Chain of Rocks Bridge in St. Louis in memory of Tom. Caryn will contact Larry about ideas for Toni. The suggestion was made that these and future memorials be funded in part by MBF and in part by donations from MBF members to be held in a memorial fund for such occasions.

Brent Hugh is busy updating the contact information on all bike clubs in Missouri for future use. He has also been working on a list of recommended changes to the MO driver’s guide to include bike/ped issues.

The meeting was adjourned at 4 pm and most of those present went for a bike ride.

Respectfully submitted, Laura Vie

Action Items
Due Date-Action
?-Mike Schilling will write letters to the bill sponsors from last year, thanking them for their support and expressing hope they will lead again in the 2004 session.
?-We intend to solicit opinions from cyclists and cycling groups around the state about areas which they feel may need to be addressed by legislation.
11/2/03-It was felt that contributions may be appropriate but should be brought to the annual business meeting in November for discussion and final decision.
?-Brent will send out more information on the MBF listserv.
11/2/03-Discuss setting up a memorial fund for with the general membership.
?-Caryn will contact Larry Denny to ask for suggestions for a memorial for Toni.
?-Brent will solicit bike/ped legislative change suggestions.

Share this: